Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Miscarriages

After learning of our first miscarriage we were devastated. Our hearts really hurt. At night we would lay in bed holding each other and crying. That same year we had another miscarriage. Instead of waiting until I have three to four miscarriages my doctor wanted to start testing. After my blood testing we found out I have MTHFR, basically my body does not metabolize proteins into acids. During pregnancy you need folic acid to help develop the bodies spine and brain. This puts me at rick for babies with spina bifisda or down syndrome. It also causes my blood to thicken too much putting me at rick for blood clots. So for the next pregnancy I was on blood thinners and a high dose of folic acid.

5 weeks after finding out I was pregnant again I started spotting. The ultrasound showed bleed behind the sac which is the beginning of a miscarriage, however, it was too early for a heart beat so I was to come in for another ultrasound in 10 days. That ultrasound showed a heart beat. We were still told not to get too excited because the bleeding had not stopped and the odds of me miscarring were high. Every week we went in for an ultrasound and there was still a heart beat. At 9 weeks the ultrasound showed no evidence of bleeding and a strong heart beat. Von Charles was born January 24th, 2007. He is our miracle baby.

We just recently had another miscarriage but no matter how many more miscarriages our future holds or any other obstacles we will face we have each other. It has been these experiences that have brought us closer together. I know I can lean on Steve and he will hold me up.

No comments: